Camping caravans have increased the capacity in recent years but if you want to get some extra space for your camping experience, caravan awnings are an ideal solution to accommodate larger groups without being limited and crampy. This buying guide will highlight crucial features to look out for when shopping for a caravan awning whether you are a lone ranger or in a group.
Let’s begin by explaining what a caravan awning is and the rest will follow suit. A caravan awning works similar to what a house extension in a real estate property works. In the same way, caravan awnings bring additional space to your camper. Whether you would like a space for barbecuing, a storage area, or a playground for your kids, you have it all with a caravan awning. You are at liberty to choose how to use that extra space you are getting with the use of a caravan awning. An awning is a tent-like feature that attaches itself to the caravan vehicle that you can erect and pull down within some minutes on the go. There is no camping experience like enhancing your trip with an awning for that extra space for a siesta.
So, why should one purposely buy a caravan awning in the first place? Many benefits come with a caravan awning. One major advantage is doubling the available living space.
Different awning sizes are available
There are two common awning styles – these are; full & porch styles. However, when buying a caravan awning, size is the most important consideration to keep in mind. Although most caravan awnings fit between 235 and 250 cm. But you better double-check this before buying one. Porch awnings are small and quick to install compared to full awnings. Porch awnings provide you with that extra space to hang your wet gear and a storage place for bikes and more. During unfavourable weather conditions, these porch awnings provide a space to keep wet and uncomfortable items out of your caravan but still under a shelter.
The first thing to do is to find out the height of the attaching area in your caravan so that you will know the type of caravan awning that will work best for your case.
These are some of the important aspects to consider when purchasing a caravan awning:
- Attaching height: Take the measurements correctly to ensure your awning fits perfectly
- Floorplan size: Consider how much space your caravan awning will provide and prepare the floor plan accordingly. Although this is adjustable according to your needs.
- Rail compatibility: Caravan awnings in some instances need a minimum length of a straight rail.
- Awning annexe: If you think you might require some extra space for your caravan, consider a caravan awning with extension compatibility for extra space in the future when you need it.
The ideal type of caravan awning to buy
There are several aspects to consider before buying a caravan awning. These are some of the top features to consider beforehand:
- Skylights for lighting
- Larger windows for comfortable viewing
- Awning light hanging points for easy lighting during the nights
- Consider flat entry for pushchairs or wheeled chairs.
- Weatherproofing features
- Annexe compatibility.
- Curtains to improve privacy
Another key point to consider when buying a caravan awning is how often do you go camping and the number of parties you often go out with.